This course is available as a private course and can be tailored to your requirements. Please contact us on +353 1 6390050 for further information or email firstname.lastname@example.org
P3O® Foundation and Practitioner certification course
Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices (P3O®) was first published in 2008 and revised in 2013.
P3O® brings together a set of principles, processes and techniques to help the project management office (PMO), provide a balanced portfolio of change and ensure consistent delivery of projects and programmes across the business.
The guidance is accompanied by a certification scheme.
It provides a centre of excellence for the organization which includes the setting of standards.
It is a flexible approach to supporting, controlling and assuring change initiatives because “one-size does not fit all”
P3O® supports and is aligned to PRINCE2®, MSP®, M_o_R® and MoP®.
A P3O model provides a decision-enabling/delivery support structure for all change within an organization. This may be provided through a single permanent office which may exist under several different names, for example Portfolio Office, Centre of Excellence, Enterprise or Corporate Programme Office.
The purpose of P3O is to provide universally applicable guidance that will enable individuals and organizations to establish, develop and maintain appropriate business support structures.
The benefits of P3O are:
- Informed senior management decision-making on factors including strategy, prioritization, risk management and optimization of resources in order to successfully deliver their business objectives (portfolio management)
- Identification and realization of business outcomes and benefits via programmes
- Successful delivery of project outputs that enable benefits within time, cost and quality restraints.
- Optimization of resource to successfully deliver business objectives
- As a single source of “truth” on the status of all the change initiatives in the portfolio
- Timely and accurate reporting that is easily understood by all stakeholders
- Successful delivery of projects and programmes that enable benefits realization, within time, cost and quality restraints.
- Support business outcomes
- Optimize customer experience
- Enable business change
- Show value for money
- Manage risk in line with business needs
- Continually improve
The course is suitable for :
- Managers wishing to gain an understanding of possible structures for supporting business change and the type and level of support that can be provided by Portfolio, Programme and Project Offices
- Managers and/or staff who have been tasked to create delivery support structures and mechanisms within their organisation
- Experienced portfolio or programme office managers who need to review, revitalise or tailor current portfolio or programme office provision
- Portfolio office or programme office staff who need to understand the importance of their role
- Anyone who wishes to gain the skills and knowledge outlined above
The Public course fee (€2975) includes all course materials and the examination fee for the Foundation and Practitioner examination.
Delegates should have worked /had exposure to a project/programme environment and understand the basic principles relating to Programme and Project Management. A basic understanding of MSP® (Managing Successful Programmes) or a Foundation qualification in MSP® would be a benefit for this course (though not a pre-requisite). You will be provided with pre-course reading prior to attending the course. This pre-reading is in the form of a PDF and is expected to take approximately two to three hours to complete. This is only a guide and you may wish to spend longer on this activity to help you prepare effectively. Your learning starts with this pre-reading, so please ensure you can complete the pre-course activities
About the certification scheme:
P3O best practice is supported by the core guidance publication and a two-tier certification scheme, Foundation and Practitioner.
The purpose of the Foundation certification is to confirm that a candidate has sufficient knowledge and understanding of the P3O guidance to interact effectively with, or act as an informed member of, an office within a P3O model. Foundation is a pre-requisite for the Practitioner certificate.
The purpose of the Practitioner certification is to affirm that the candidate can design, implement, manage or work within any component office of a P3O model. A successful candidate will have an overall understanding of the elements, roles, functions and tools and techniques deployed in a generalized P3O model.
The P3O® Foundation examination will be taken on the afternoon of day three of the course. The exam is a multiple choice exam consisting of 75 questions that must be answered in 1 hour. To be successful in this exam the delegate must correctly answer 35 or more questions. Delegates will be informed of their indicative result before they leave the course.
The P3O® Practitioner examination will be taken on the afternoon of day five of the course. The exam is a multiple choice exam consisting of 80 marks (4 questions with 20 marks per question) that must be answered in 2 1/2 hours. To be successful in this exam the delegate must get 40 or more marks. The exam allows the use of the 2013 version of the P3O® manual. Delegates will be informed of their result by the examining body, normally within four weeks of course completion.
P3O, MSP, PRINCE2 and MoP are Registered Trade Marks of AXELOS Limited.